This Sunday, April 25, 2010, marks the second anniversary of my becoming an elite member of the exclusive online community known as “the Twitters” (to my mom). Two whole years! Can you believe it!? That’s fourteen years for a dog! I am so not afraid of commitment.
Ah yes, Twitter. “Nobody wants to hear about when you’re going to the bathroom,” is the first thing people say to me when I tell them I’m on it, but I’ve never seen anyone telling me they’re going to the bathroom. Wait. I think I tweeted that once. Anywho…
I like Twitter. I like to read what people are up to, are thinking about or find amusing. I also like to entertain others but hate leaving my house. This way I can do both..
..and go to the bathroom…like I am right now.
So, in honor of my second year love affair with Twitter, I am inviting you to celebrate by participating in my contest! Here are the intimate details:
Why A Contest?
About two and half (maybe three) years ago, I was sitting in my temp Los Angeles apartment with @MattBelknap working on a project. At some point, we became distracted by this new social communication site called Twitter. We then ripped it a new one.
If you know Matt and/or myself, you know we might be considered judgmental. Twitter was at the top of our Dumb-Ass Things list. Then about 4 months later, my husband had a surgery. I knew I would be at the hospital for a few days, but I knew family and friends would want to know how Mark was doing and they would be calling my cell phone constantly…which was no good. I remembered Twitter! So I set up an account for my husband and texted in tweets. Voila! People could be informed of every blood spurt if they so chose, right from their home or office! At the end of that week, I received an email from Matt saying that, “This is the only usage of Twitter that I deem acceptable.” Now look at us.
So, after I dreamt up this silly contest idea, I pondered what I could give away…. Well, I do comedy, so it has to be something funny. And Twitter makes me think of Matt Belknap. Hmmm. OF COURSE!!
Matt is the producer of a wonderfully funny and charming podcast called Never Not Funny. He and host Jimmy Pardo invite a guest (usually a comedian but sometimes an actor, musician, etc.) to sit in on each episode, and they basically shoot the shit. Past guests have included: Conan O’Brien, Paul F. Tompkins, Jon Hamm, Jen Kirkman, Chris Hardwick and my husband Mark Volman, to name a few. So basically, awesome people. (Most awesomely: the late Andrew Koenig. Andrew was the video producer of NNF and an amazingly sweet person that will be forever missed by friends, family and fans.) It’s a great show and more people need to hear it.
How To Win:
1) You have to follow me on Twitter to win. It’s funny, I see that my tweets are retweeted by people that don’t follow me. How did they even see it? The internet is creepy and mysterious. But it also has porn.
2) Then on Sunday, April 25th and Monday, April 26th ONLY , you must tweet the following: “I’m celebrating @emilyvolman’s 2Yr Twitterversary by entering a chance to win a season subscription to @NeverNotFunny!”
You only need to tweet this once on one of the two days. You can tweet it more, but multiple times will not get you more entries. BUT ALSO PLEASE NOTE: It’s my contest…added compliments about how great I am in your tweet will increase your chances of winning.
3) If you are already a current subscriber of Never Not Funny, fear not! The winners will get a one season subscription to use whenever they feel like it. Also, this ain’t no cheap contest…the prize is an audio AND video subscription.
4) The winners will be chosen at random via a high-tech selection process…like pulling a name out of a hat or shortest straw or entering the data into a calculator so it says “boobs.” Just be sure to use “@emilyvolman” in your tweet so I will see you!
5) The winner will then be notified on Wednesday, April 28th via a tweet. Get it? ‘Cause we’re on Twitter…where you can announce things…while you’re peeing. I’ll also DM you, then you can email me directly to get your subscription info. Then we can be email pals and probably become lifelong friends and take vacations together.
Welp, happy tweeting! And Happy Twitterversary to me!!
Posted in • Blog | No Comments »